Friday, May 24, 2013

"The Guardian" + "The Chief"

Hello again! I took a minor hiatus from my collage work, but now I'm back with two new pieces to add to my Metamorphosis series! Below are the collages, The Guardian and The Chief.
(Click below to view larger scale)


The Guardian
16in. x 20in. photo collage
Subject : Green Leaf Mantid
Model : Jocelyn

I was quite pleased with how elegant this piece turned out. The Guardian showcases the beautiful balance between a female figure appearing strong as well as delicate. In order to achieve a smooth transition between the insect and the model, I kept the tones and values of each subject as similar as possible while merging the two through their spines. To get a better view of the construction behind the spines, see the detailed shot below:


For the record, creating a tiny rounded-edge using an X-acto blade is not as easy as it may appear. And here is the second collage titled, The Chief below:


The Chief
11in. x 14in. photo collage
Subject : Man Face Beetle
Model : Max

The name of the insect sums it up entirely. I kept the collaging simple without using any "tiling" or excessive layering because I felt the beetle was already visually intriguing on its own. I chose to include the insects limbs and face in the piece because they added a cool graphic element to the collage. In a way, they even resemble tribal tattoos, (an additional detail to go along with the title of the piece). And it's actually in color! This is a great example of when the use of color enhances the piece instead of interfering with it.

No comments: