Wednesday, March 13, 2013

"The Seeker"

Below is my fifth and newest piece that I have completed for my Metamorphosis series, titled The Seeker. As you can tell, I'm seeking, (no pun intended) new and interesting techniques for collaging the insects featured in this series. 
(Click below to view larger scale)

The Seeker
16in. x 20in. photo collage
Subjects : Silky Owl Butterfly
Model : Self

I'm not sure if people will have an issue with the butterflies not being placed 100% symmetrically in the piece, but I can assure you that it was an intentional decision on my part. The asymmetry of the wings adds to the illusion that the eyes are individually, "peeking out" from behind one another. Although The Seeker has a similar look to The Observer, there are several differences between the two pieces. Instead of using the tiling effect like I used in The Observer, The Seeker consists of 14 butterfly wing cut-outs that were printed and layered together in a variety of different sizes and values. To give the illusion of shadow and depth, the smaller and darker cut-outs were layered in the back. 

And I apologize that this is yet another B&W collage for this series, (whoopsies)...I'm aware that I said the next collage for Metamorphosis would be done in color, (and I had every intention to make it in color originally) but when the photographs of the butterflies were printed the yellow pigment of the "eyes" on the wings were far more distracting then I had anticipated. In my opinion, the saturated color actually took away from the piece...so I chose to execute it in B&W and I couldn't be more pleased with the results

My next piece for Metamorphosis will definitely be in color, (please someone hold me to that!)

No comments: